jueves, 4 de marzo de 2010

How Slow is Your Telomere Shortening?

Baron Hansen once jokingly stated, “Life is short… running makes it seem longer.” Ironically, if researchers in Germany have it right, the joke may actually be on him.
German scientists have identified, “Direct evidence of an anti-aging effect of physical exercise,” one of them said in a statement. In their watershed study, theses researchers looked at marathoners and triathletes who had been training for decades and found that endurance sports appear to have anti-aging effects at the molecular level.
Essentially, regular participation in endurance sports is thought to slow the aging process by preserving the ends of one’s chromosomes, called telomeres. In theory, the breakdown of chromosomes is part of what causes us age, so anything that prolongs this deterioration will help keep us younger, longer. Perhaps LSD could be the next anti-aging craze (Long Slow Distance, that is).
Apparently, no one’s explained this to Milton Berle: “My doctor told me that jogging could add years to my life. I think he was right. I feel ten years older already,” he said.
Question: Who do you think is right, Milton Berle or his doctor? Does regular participation in endurance sports prevent aging, or cause it?
I’d be interested to hear your take, so leave your comments below.
Personally, I’m gonna go with the anti-aging vote. And to practice what I preach, I’m out the door for a run.
Later,
Dean

 (Dean Karnazes' Blog)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario